Saturday, December 31, 2005

Old Texas

Last night I came home from a session
And my head it was feeling quite sore
As I lay down on my bed and I promised
That I'd never be drunk anymore
I dream't I'd been shot full of bullets
By the Orangemen back in Belfast
And an angel did whisper so sweetly
Old Texas you're finished at last

This is the first verse of a poem composed by the late Texas Mick Reilly
that he titles Duggans Pub Christmas Day 1978. Mick had an almighty hangover and he had a vision of going up to Heaven. Some of those visions take me back to that era at Christmas time in and around the Bridge. Midnight mass one year where there was a trumpet player on the balcony and I will never forget his version of Silent Night. Another year we had the local choir and when mass was over a man smoking at the railings outside shouted loud Here's O Hare. With his par up a bum bum. Sean being one of the leading lights in the choir and to this day he keeps up the tradition in Killoughter. Redhills the local brass band played after mass and the man playing the Symbols was known as Benny Terry who cycled to Dublin for an audition to play the tin whistle on Radio Eireann. Benny was the type of man that the one shirt done him 365 days of the year.
Back to the Bridge and TOMMIES was the place to be on the second day for the Singsong. Balladeers came from as far as Ballinagh---such was the competition that one man forgot to go home for his dinner and when he did arrive some 6 hours later the dog had it eaten.
The arrival of the coloured tv and the racing put an end to that "there was money to be made both sides of the counter. I was trying to listen to the preview of the King George. Tommy Harkins and Sean OHare were discussing their relations in Leitrim and how much Leitrim blood was in them. Tommy Mulligan was stretched on the couch at the rear and he beckoned to Tommy(publican), "Two pound on the steel grey and a bottle a stout ". The Steel Grey turned out to be one of the most successful racehorses of all time Desert Orchid.
Tommy went to Cavan every Saturday to back horses. Washed wellingtons and a big overcoat never buttoned --always open. Tommies pub in Cavan was Walter Rehills Bridge St- a man who hailed from Ballyhaise. Tommy never worked too often or held down a job--- he signed on the Brew. One day he was giving a neighbour a hand to lay a water connection to his house when the Man in charge of the brew office saw Tommy in the field. God Tommy I caught you working at last. Not at all Mr Mc Goldrick I'm only the supervisor he replied. Ye see Sisk built the Pro -Cathedral in Dublin but he never worked at it.
Tommy had a contract every Friday in the Derragarra Inn reading the Anglo Celt for his neighbours John Fitzpatrick and Stevie Mulligan. The Celt was provided by Mr Glancey.
Anglo Celt Friday May the Tenth 1976 Arva District Court Man fined for unlicensed bull Tommy shouted. Most of the characters have passed on but memories still linger.
A new generation has arrived mobile phones scantly clad females and The males when they get a few wines in start to roar like the unlicensed bull in Arva.
I have to sign off now see you in 2006 and watch the stuffing or the frigging prawn cocktails. HAVE A FLUTTER ON MCKELVEY "RUNS IN THE WELSH GRAND NATIONAL DEC 27 Each Way 12/1 will pay four places.
Tullybuck Man

No comments: