"When I lately came acquainted with the turfman of Ardeee"
This is a line from a song recorded by (Dermot O Brien Accordian player) who captained the Louth team to their one and only All- Ireland success in 1957. Thats a small bit of history for ya to start proceedings.
The song came to my mind very often in the past few months as I was reluctantly brought back into the turf scene after a ten year lapse. Nightmares still haunt me from past experiences. When you start into this business and you have not the proper equipment ----Forget it
Borrowed the trailer from my brother ---35 bags of turf on board and travelling northbound on the N55 a wheel of the trailer past me out in Mullahoran and carreered on down the road. Luckly no other transport was coming at that time
On another expedition I sank the tractor and trailer in the bog and it took me and the bog owner all the next day to get to firm ground.
Back to this year and the expedition set off again. The date was the Twelth of July with a tropical sun beaming down and myself and the bride headed for the plot of turf on the top of Doon mountain surrounded by Sean Quinn windmills. The view from here is fantastic on a summers day but a terrible place to be on a wet and windy one. You can see the Lakes of Fermanagh up as far as Lisnaskea and as much of Cavan and Leitrim as the eye can see. This was not a sight seeing mission we were on but back breaking work. When we reached our plot I had one look down and sighed --will we ever reach the bottom. IT reminds me of a story about a man and his mother in the hay field years ago when he shouted aloud so that all the neighbours heard him" Bull into it Mammy the rains coming" There was no danger of rain in Doon on this particular evening. As the late John Rourke of Butlersbridge would say in good weather " A pair of shorts and no shirt ------A hundred degrees in the shade". That was all was needed in the bog on this evening with plenty of liquids. We footed away until the midgets arrived and they blue the whistle to stop. The radox bath came into play when I reached tully buck. I thought I was in reasonable condition but there were aces in spots I never new existed. And to make matters worse it was going to be repeated for the forseeable future. Only one answer A few pints of stagger juice down the local.
The process was repeated to the power of ten untill all the turf was footed. My trips to and fro reminded me of a Song that was composed by a Fermanagh man Cathal Mc Connell. "Was it Pat drove Mick or Mick drove Pat to Ballyconnell fair"Its about two brothers from Derrylin who left home on a dark and foggy morning bringing a cow to the fair in Ballyconnell. When they reached Ballyconnel there was no cow. The cow was later found at a KFC (eating at a stack of hay)He also composed another familiar song " Only her rivers run free". Thats another small bit of history for ya.
On certain occasions the mountain was alive with people--- head down arse up. One day I heard a familiar voice in the background. It was that of Colm Curry From Belturbet. I shouted aloud "Any sign of half time yet ---Did you bring the oranges" He was busy chatting away to this one and that. He came slowly past my plot and looked down. He did not know me only to shout! Your footing them the wrong way --they should be standing up. nevermind im only turning mine over, so much for the advice. The next evening the owner of the plot beside me arrived with bags and complete with quad to take them to the road. Where are ye from Butlersbridge said the bride. He paused. I thought of what he was going to say next "Ye are a pair of lunatics" or something to that effect He straightened his back and said Ye came a long way to get turf. Do you know Tom Mc Kenna in Cavan ?
Well his mother and my mother were two sisters Hes a beat man. This man was listening to the long range forecast for inside two days the long hot summer turned to rain. Then the crack started trying to bag dry turf between the showers At least I had one thing in common with the rest of the plot holders. We were all in the same boat. August Bank holiday arrived but instead of relaxing it was off to Doon once more How did i get myself into this bloody mess at my age I thought. You must be gone in the head. The plot to my right was not yet footed. I looked down the line and there was Antony Reilly on his Kees footing away and straight back from his hooneymoon. Jesus dont let anybody know we are here or they will think we are mad- shouted Antony. Never did I see a man work so hard on his own. At six oclock we ran out of bags. Thank God for relief. Another hour would finnish us. Back the next day we travelled only for the wind and rain to drive us home.
Saturday was pencilled in for removing the turf. Thirtybags left to fill before D Day. Put the trailer to the back of the car and the wheelbarrow in it and off we set. The weather was fine and and as we past Aughalane Bridge a car was been driven at a very slow pace. After five minutes of crawl road rage set in and down with the boot. Five minutes later I took one glance in the mirror and there was the wheelbarrow hopping off the road. I brought the car to a sudden stop, Jumped out ann grabbed what was left of the barrow. Who went sauntering past only the old man and a cavalcade of vehicles behind him. He was after doing me one hell of a favour because he had all the traffic held up which allowed me time to get the barrow out of the way. Theres a God above. The remaining turf was filled and in a very short time and I had time to look around and listen to the different voices. There were English voices over from me busy removing the turf. On reaching the road a small man with a van said !Has Gaffney man dogs in the Bridge now? He was waiting for a tractor and trailor to arrive. Quinns lorries were tooing and frooing at an enormous rate. All driven by foreign internationals.
The crunch day arrived and off I go at seven thirty complete with car and large trailer. Gary arrives shaking himself and in ten minutes later a tractor and trailer. Suddenly fromth cold mist came Mickey and the Quad. Antony the honeymoon man came in his golf car with an ariel as tall as a windmill All shoulders to the wheel. The first load on the quad sank in pure mud. Change the route and we were flying. We had over 600 hundred bags removed by three o clock. Many times that day I praised the man who invented the Quad for without it and the help I recieved the turf would still be on Doon mountain and I can assure you thats where the will stay next year. I shall travel back to give assitance to any one who is foolish enough to invest again. My wife has a full time occupation ---drying turf with the hairdryer.
"Enough of that Doon And Gloom "
As you will see from the Web Friday 17 Nov was a big night for the Bridge area as the Church Restoration Fund Tea Party was hosted in the Kilmore Hotel. As a line in the Song "Spancill Hill"did say
"The young and the old ,the brave and the bold their duty to fulfill" was certainly answered by all denominations
It was a great occasion where friends and neighbours chatted over the tea and had a dance and a few stagger juices afterwards. It raised a whopping £12000 euro. As I said in a previous episode about the Bridge being a lit up graveyard well it certainly came alive on the 17th.
Jokeinly one of the partygoers declared" Bejapers its going to be a tough time on us drinkers! were going to have to pay for the roofing of the Chapel and the Derragara Inn at the same time.
The Derragara Inn has a new thatched roof and looks back to itself.
Recently I heard a yarn (truestory) about a retired man having his pint in Cavan town one day and he was telling the barman about a show he went to see in The Point Depot where his favourite female singer was performing -- aaaGod she sang great and when she was finished her act the band members lifted her up in the air and she threw up her legs.
Oh God Blessus she hadnt as much underware on her as would keep the head on the handle of a brush (No Specsavers wanted there)
I find a small screw much better.
Next month I shall deal with the Xmas edition.
Tips on how to avoid hangovers, cooking the turkey, where to get berried holly and the best possible place to bury yourself in the holly.
Tips for horses (which should be avoided after Mckelvey). I read only to day that his long term objective is the English Grand National. Idoubt if he has the class to win it. Perhaps back for a place.
From horses that I have seen run todate with my Specsaver Glasses I pass on a horse called Clopf trained in Ireland by E O Grady which has a squeak in the Royal and Sun Alliance hurdle in Cheltenam. Odds Of 10/1 are available so if he wins his next race they will shorten up,
Slain Leat from the tullybuckman News at Ten Doon Mountain.
N.B. All complaints to the Joe Finnegan Show Shannonside Northern Sound. Ladies and Gentlemen Please!
This is a line from a song recorded by (Dermot O Brien Accordian player) who captained the Louth team to their one and only All- Ireland success in 1957. Thats a small bit of history for ya to start proceedings.
The song came to my mind very often in the past few months as I was reluctantly brought back into the turf scene after a ten year lapse. Nightmares still haunt me from past experiences. When you start into this business and you have not the proper equipment ----Forget it
Borrowed the trailer from my brother ---35 bags of turf on board and travelling northbound on the N55 a wheel of the trailer past me out in Mullahoran and carreered on down the road. Luckly no other transport was coming at that time
On another expedition I sank the tractor and trailer in the bog and it took me and the bog owner all the next day to get to firm ground.
Back to this year and the expedition set off again. The date was the Twelth of July with a tropical sun beaming down and myself and the bride headed for the plot of turf on the top of Doon mountain surrounded by Sean Quinn windmills. The view from here is fantastic on a summers day but a terrible place to be on a wet and windy one. You can see the Lakes of Fermanagh up as far as Lisnaskea and as much of Cavan and Leitrim as the eye can see. This was not a sight seeing mission we were on but back breaking work. When we reached our plot I had one look down and sighed --will we ever reach the bottom. IT reminds me of a story about a man and his mother in the hay field years ago when he shouted aloud so that all the neighbours heard him" Bull into it Mammy the rains coming" There was no danger of rain in Doon on this particular evening. As the late John Rourke of Butlersbridge would say in good weather " A pair of shorts and no shirt ------A hundred degrees in the shade". That was all was needed in the bog on this evening with plenty of liquids. We footed away until the midgets arrived and they blue the whistle to stop. The radox bath came into play when I reached tully buck. I thought I was in reasonable condition but there were aces in spots I never new existed. And to make matters worse it was going to be repeated for the forseeable future. Only one answer A few pints of stagger juice down the local.
The process was repeated to the power of ten untill all the turf was footed. My trips to and fro reminded me of a Song that was composed by a Fermanagh man Cathal Mc Connell. "Was it Pat drove Mick or Mick drove Pat to Ballyconnell fair"Its about two brothers from Derrylin who left home on a dark and foggy morning bringing a cow to the fair in Ballyconnell. When they reached Ballyconnel there was no cow. The cow was later found at a KFC (eating at a stack of hay)He also composed another familiar song " Only her rivers run free". Thats another small bit of history for ya.
On certain occasions the mountain was alive with people--- head down arse up. One day I heard a familiar voice in the background. It was that of Colm Curry From Belturbet. I shouted aloud "Any sign of half time yet ---Did you bring the oranges" He was busy chatting away to this one and that. He came slowly past my plot and looked down. He did not know me only to shout! Your footing them the wrong way --they should be standing up. nevermind im only turning mine over, so much for the advice. The next evening the owner of the plot beside me arrived with bags and complete with quad to take them to the road. Where are ye from Butlersbridge said the bride. He paused. I thought of what he was going to say next "Ye are a pair of lunatics" or something to that effect He straightened his back and said Ye came a long way to get turf. Do you know Tom Mc Kenna in Cavan ?
Well his mother and my mother were two sisters Hes a beat man. This man was listening to the long range forecast for inside two days the long hot summer turned to rain. Then the crack started trying to bag dry turf between the showers At least I had one thing in common with the rest of the plot holders. We were all in the same boat. August Bank holiday arrived but instead of relaxing it was off to Doon once more How did i get myself into this bloody mess at my age I thought. You must be gone in the head. The plot to my right was not yet footed. I looked down the line and there was Antony Reilly on his Kees footing away and straight back from his hooneymoon. Jesus dont let anybody know we are here or they will think we are mad- shouted Antony. Never did I see a man work so hard on his own. At six oclock we ran out of bags. Thank God for relief. Another hour would finnish us. Back the next day we travelled only for the wind and rain to drive us home.
Saturday was pencilled in for removing the turf. Thirtybags left to fill before D Day. Put the trailer to the back of the car and the wheelbarrow in it and off we set. The weather was fine and and as we past Aughalane Bridge a car was been driven at a very slow pace. After five minutes of crawl road rage set in and down with the boot. Five minutes later I took one glance in the mirror and there was the wheelbarrow hopping off the road. I brought the car to a sudden stop, Jumped out ann grabbed what was left of the barrow. Who went sauntering past only the old man and a cavalcade of vehicles behind him. He was after doing me one hell of a favour because he had all the traffic held up which allowed me time to get the barrow out of the way. Theres a God above. The remaining turf was filled and in a very short time and I had time to look around and listen to the different voices. There were English voices over from me busy removing the turf. On reaching the road a small man with a van said !Has Gaffney man dogs in the Bridge now? He was waiting for a tractor and trailor to arrive. Quinns lorries were tooing and frooing at an enormous rate. All driven by foreign internationals.
The crunch day arrived and off I go at seven thirty complete with car and large trailer. Gary arrives shaking himself and in ten minutes later a tractor and trailer. Suddenly fromth cold mist came Mickey and the Quad. Antony the honeymoon man came in his golf car with an ariel as tall as a windmill All shoulders to the wheel. The first load on the quad sank in pure mud. Change the route and we were flying. We had over 600 hundred bags removed by three o clock. Many times that day I praised the man who invented the Quad for without it and the help I recieved the turf would still be on Doon mountain and I can assure you thats where the will stay next year. I shall travel back to give assitance to any one who is foolish enough to invest again. My wife has a full time occupation ---drying turf with the hairdryer.
"Enough of that Doon And Gloom "
As you will see from the Web Friday 17 Nov was a big night for the Bridge area as the Church Restoration Fund Tea Party was hosted in the Kilmore Hotel. As a line in the Song "Spancill Hill"did say
"The young and the old ,the brave and the bold their duty to fulfill" was certainly answered by all denominations
It was a great occasion where friends and neighbours chatted over the tea and had a dance and a few stagger juices afterwards. It raised a whopping £12000 euro. As I said in a previous episode about the Bridge being a lit up graveyard well it certainly came alive on the 17th.
Jokeinly one of the partygoers declared" Bejapers its going to be a tough time on us drinkers! were going to have to pay for the roofing of the Chapel and the Derragara Inn at the same time.
The Derragara Inn has a new thatched roof and looks back to itself.
Recently I heard a yarn (truestory) about a retired man having his pint in Cavan town one day and he was telling the barman about a show he went to see in The Point Depot where his favourite female singer was performing -- aaaGod she sang great and when she was finished her act the band members lifted her up in the air and she threw up her legs.
Oh God Blessus she hadnt as much underware on her as would keep the head on the handle of a brush (No Specsavers wanted there)
I find a small screw much better.
Next month I shall deal with the Xmas edition.
Tips on how to avoid hangovers, cooking the turkey, where to get berried holly and the best possible place to bury yourself in the holly.
Tips for horses (which should be avoided after Mckelvey). I read only to day that his long term objective is the English Grand National. Idoubt if he has the class to win it. Perhaps back for a place.
From horses that I have seen run todate with my Specsaver Glasses I pass on a horse called Clopf trained in Ireland by E O Grady which has a squeak in the Royal and Sun Alliance hurdle in Cheltenam. Odds Of 10/1 are available so if he wins his next race they will shorten up,
Slain Leat from the tullybuckman News at Ten Doon Mountain.
N.B. All complaints to the Joe Finnegan Show Shannonside Northern Sound. Ladies and Gentlemen Please!
No comments:
Post a Comment