Friday, January 19, 2007

Ceili house

A belated happy new year to everyone at home or overseas.
I am glad to report that the smoke from the turf is billowing over Drummany Fort and with all the wind storms we are having it will be soon at Cloverhill.
As I reported to you in a previous edition of the tullybuck man “The Bag”(Breathalyzer) was the general topic of conversation during the Christmas period.  One man was bagging out of him in Cons all night I felt like putting a bag on his head to keep him quiet.The politicians are now bagging out of them also because there is an election coming up soon. The vintners association are also crying and calling for the bag to be removed.Where were these people when the legislation was being passed in the Dail.They must have been drunk or asleep in Killnaskully.The horse has bolted and its too late crying wolf.
Samples of the bag are freely available in the Bridge and one particular pub spy was bagged on his way to have some refreshments. A lucky escape indeed!
All sorts of suggestions are being offered to overcome the problem in rural areas
Gay Byrne who commutes out of Howth says there should be no trouble with checkpoints in rural areas as they are few and far between. He has never been to the Mill Dam Cross in Redhills or I suppose he is not too familiar with Hackelty Cross either
A letter in the Anglo Celt in this weeks issue suggests we should bring back the Ceili house in the country to counter act going to the pub.We are just organizing a bus load to his house next week; each man with a six pack. The day of the neighbour calling to your house with cow dung on his boots is long past,as is smoking and spitting into the hob of your neighbors house.This practice does not blend with wooden floors or marble fireplaces.My neighbor of years past known as Maggie Tail had often ten people in her house at night.
The kettle was always on the boil and Maggie would say “If you don’t take tae ill scald the fork in you””Where were you last night you b………. you ! I was with this lassie and I courted her tight and firm. G!long ye B……….ya
Every house now is glued to trash on T V such as Big Brother ,Coronation Street ,Eastenders
Recently I heard a storey of two neighbours ,one was not getting on to well with his wife, so off he goes a ceili to his neighbour and sits up half the night so much so that the woman of the house got fed up. So this night she told the husband that she was going to bed and she would call him up at midnight. Pat says she are you coming up to bed ?The. neighbour heard this and said to the husband Arent you the lucky man !your wife wants you up to bed and mine wants me out of the bed.
“Theres a stretch on the evenings now “ a saying that’s familiar in this neck of the woods and we can look forward to the months ahead .Floodlit games in Kingspan Breffni Park,
The A.I.G. champion hurdle from Leopardstown and not to forget Cheltenham racing festival.For the greyhound fans theres the coursing from Clonmel and next were into St. Patricks Day celebrations.Then its out with the lawn mower , the paint brush and then away for the bog.Not a bad life at all not to mention a few stagger juices in between.
Recently I visited a bachelor farmer who lives out side Cootehill and I marveled at half acre of garden he had set from last year.The potato heap which measured about 20 ft long was clayed to perfection.Turnips carrots onions cabbage were to be seen and not to mention the plot of curley kale cabbage which is lovely to eat with boiling bacon at this time ofyear . A garden of this type is rare sight in rural Ireland to day.
He talked about football and sighed “ I never thought id see the day that the Cavan full back line would consist of three players from the Drumgoon club playing there .Its a good job Tony Tighe or Mick Higgins wasn’t about.His thoughts are still in the Polo Grounds In 1947.
I’ll leave you with my thoughts of a question I was asked occasionally by the late T. J .Conaty.Is there any good plots of cabbage on your travels?

No comments: